“Nothing we do is more important than hiring and developing people. At the end of the day you bet on people, not on strategies”. Lawrence Bossidy.
RECRUITING the right people is one of the main ways you can provide your business with a “competitive edge” – because great businesses are built around great people.
Successful businesses recruit for skills, knowledge AND temperament. They also have clear strategies and processes to support the recruitment and retention of the very best employees.
With significant competition for the best staff, good businesses know that they need to be “on their game” in order to attract and retain great candidates. This means knowing how to conduct a professional and thorough recruitment process, including:
- Effectively scoping the role.
- Knowing where to look for the right candidates.
- Drafting effective advertisements and professionally handing enquiries.
- Skilfully assessing candidates.
- Making an appropriate offer.
- Implementing an effective onboarding process.
Effective recruitment and selection is a cornerstone of any high-performing business. Consider the facts:
- Every time the wrong person is employed, it could end up costing you 3.5x the annual salary of that person (BRW Best Places to Work 2013)
- More than 90% of business owners admit to having employed the wrong person, at least once (Gough Recruitment, 2014)
Recruiting Right doesn’t just happen, it requires a considered plan and action. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Figure out what you need before you go looking for it. How many times have you been grocery shopping without a list, only to end up with a whole lot of stuff you don’t need, and forgetting the stuff you do need? Prepare a proper job description or brief so you have your “shopping list” ready.
- Know your market – ensure that the proposed remuneration and conditions for the role are not only compliant but also sufficient to attract the right calibre of candidates.
- Understand and promote those attributes that might make your business attractive to the best candidates (it could be a ﬂexible workplace culture, location, working environment and/or development opportunities for example).
- Ensure that only those with appropriate experience and training are managing recruitment and selection in your business. This will help make the process more robust and reduce the risk of hiring the wrong person.
- Use a combination of methods to assess candidates. The more pieces of the puzzle you have, the more complete the picture. Consider, for example, using structured interviews, psychometric assessments, skills tests relevant to the role and verbal referee reports.
As a Premium Partner of Jobs Available Western Sydney, HR Successoffers a comprehensive recruitment support solution that can help take the worry out of the recruitment process. Give us a call on 1300 783 211 to discuss your needs.