By GREG MITCHELL
IN this series of articles, Greg Mitchell (Principal of HR Success) highlights the keys features of their exclusive 8 Elements to Success through People© Model, designed to create and sustain engaging, productive workplaces that drive business success.
After a short hiatus (gee, thanks COVID-19), we are back on track this month with our Success through People series of articles.
At the commencement of a new financial year, there is typically a lot of planning going on in SMEs.
It’s time to ask ourselves and our teams, what are we striving to achieve, and how are we going to get there? Effective planning is even more crucial this year as we begin to get back to something resembling “business as usual”.
Clear Vision and Strategy is one of the most fundamental components of the 8 Elements to Success through People(c) Model.
It concerns the degree to which Vision and Values, common purpose, strategic & business plans are present, effectively communicated and linked to the work of teams & individuals.
The simple fact is that successful businesses have clear goals and ensure that the activity of all those involved in the business is aligned towards achieving them.
So how’s your business performing in terms of clear Vision and Strategy?
Rate each of the following items on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being “not at all”, and 5 being “to a great extent”.
To what extent….
- Does your business have a clear Vision that has been effectively communicated to staff?
- Is the current Strategy of the business clear to staff?
- Can all staff members clearly state the Values of the business?
- Are the Vision, Strategy and Values of the business reinforced through (for example) recruitment, induction processes, regular staff communications, and performance reviews?
- Are staff involved in the development of action plans to support the Vision, Strategy and Values of the business?
Total your responses to calculate your score out of a potential maximum of 25. The lower your score the more opportunities there are to improve your business!
Consider these Tips:
- Develop/refresh the vision for the business. Be sure to consult with key stakeholders and, once the vision is in place, ensure it is effectively communicated.
- Determine and effectively communicate clear values for the business. Values help to guide the behaviour of people within the business and make it clear that “how we do things” is as important as “what we do”.
- Work with your team to develop strategic and business plans that outline the activities required to achieve your vision for the business. If it’s your vision to double revenue within the next 3 years, what steps do you need to put into place to achieve this? What resources and support might you need? Who’s responsible? What are the key milestones and timeframes?
- Once vision, values, strategies and business plans are developed and initially communicated, they need to be consistently reinforced through relevant communications, management behaviours and systems and processes such as recruitment and selection, performance management and remuneration. By way of example, ensure instances of non-conformance with the values are promptly and appropriately addressed. Ensure progress towards goals is regularly assessed and broadly communicated. Ensure appropriate and visible links between the achievement of business plan goals and recognition and reward systems.
Clear Vision and Strategy – get on it!
Greg Mitchell is managing partner at HR Success. Curious as to how your business or team is performing in terms of the other seven elements of the model? Check our free, confidential diagnostic today – www.hrsuccess.com.au/diagnostic.